Author Topic: Custom Shift Knob for the 5  (Read 5161 times)

Offline metalfab

Custom Shift Knob for the 5
« on: October 26, 2012, 11:28:36 PM »
I'm a welder/fitter and the shop I'm at has some unique tools to get various jobs done. I drew up a shift knob for my new 5 and it should be ready sometime late next week. I'm getting it made out of a solid piece of stainless. It is about 9cm x 3cm and will taper at the bottom down to 2cm on the length at the 6cm point . Hard to describe but it will resemble an engine piston, the flat top will have the Mazda "5" engraved on it. Photos will come when complete and installed 8)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:36:09 PM by metalfab »
_____ 2012 Mazda 5 GS _____

Offline tonyzoomzoom

• Live Long and Prosper
  • Administrator
  • I married my Mazda3
    • T-Zoom
Re: Custom Shift Knob for the 5
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 11:37:14 PM »
looking forward to the pics !
2005 Winnie the Blue GT sedan -- powered by eBay
                     next mods = wheel spacers, koni str.t shocks, and more blue LEDs !!

Offline Lilred87

• Frequenter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 07:33:36 AM »
Hello to a fellow welder/ fab guy. Are you using a lathe or some type of water jet machine? If its piston shape I'm assuming something more hardcore than a conventional lathe. Can't wait to see pictures!

Offline metalfab

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 11:49:46 AM »
Hello to a fellow welder/ fab guy. Are you using a lathe or some type of water jet machine? If its piston shape I'm assuming something more hardcore than a conventional lathe. Can't wait to see pictures!

A fellow metal fab indeed, small world :) There are many toys in the shop, the machinist area has a few CNC turning centres which will be used for the piece. I'm a welder/fitter so operating one of those deals is beyond me.

It will look something like this with '5' on the top;

Offline M Speed

• I married my Mazda3
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 05:57:31 PM »
wow that look really nice!
My beater is a c-lai car.

Offline zoomerboomer

• Premium Member
  • I married my Mazda3
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 06:21:12 PM »
That is going to look real good. 
My only complaint about metal shift knobs is when they are exposed to sun or the temperature is -20C.  My girlfriend, now my wife, used to give me a hard time about slipping on some driving gloves in the summer until I had her grab the shifter knob.  I also had a dished metal steering wheel with a walnut riveted rim on the same vehicle.  The metal in it used to get real hot too, in the summer. 
There's something to be said for leather-wrapped steering wheels and shifter knobs.
'06 25D, 3SGT w/LP, A/T, Mrf, A/C, remote start, Fiamm LT horn, Hidden Hitch, step plate, BCM3 decals, iPod integration, S:18" MSpeed Rays, Kuhmo Ecsta 4XII 225/40, W:17" stock rims, Hankook Icebear 300, VG shark fin, WTech fr mat, Autolismo: dash cam, Mz3 pedals, LEDs & 4300K HIDs; painted calipers w/decals, Mazda JDM visors, Matsu str bar, LED CHMSL thx Tim25, modified exhaust tip, Dale's installed Whiteline camber bushings, cargo tray & '14 25D 3SGT, Tech Pkg, Curt hitch, WTech fr mat.

Offline Lilred87

• Frequenter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 06:49:40 PM »
Yeah I agree zoomerboomer, they look sweet but boy do they get hot in the summer. I had one once that baked in the sun for about 4 hours. I had to use a piece of paper (all I had) to shift with until it cooled down. Took it off ASAP and bought somthing else.

I think it will be sweet. At my work we have 4 regular lathes and 1 Cnc. Along with 2 tig welders and 1 mug welder. I use all of them quite often, but never really had any plans to make a shift knob. Good on you. I will continue making other random parts like corksport licence plate relocate kits etc..

Offline metalfab

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 07:03:04 PM »
Already made a stainless LP frame with "MetalFab" on the back... have to make a front at some point. Looking for other things to replace as well, any ideas pass them along ...a big one would be a rear stablizer bar ;)

Offline Lilred87

• Frequenter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 09:05:10 PM »
Hey
If you have the know how I might as well do it. Saves money and most importantly more pride in custom car parts because, built and not bought.

Offline Lysdexic

• Slowest Speed On The Forum
  • Premium Member
  • I sleep with my Mazda3
  • 295/322
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 01:10:01 AM »
This looks really awesome, especially with the 5 going to be engraved on the top!  Do you think maybe you'll do a custom one for the feller 3's?  hehehe
10' Mz3 Black Mica - 55k of meh... [Traded]
94' Miata Brilliant Black - 1500km of awesome! [Sold]
10' Velocity Red Mazdaspeed3 - New Baby [Current]
JBR Tru 3" Intake | TIP | KW V1 | Ultimate Racing TBE | GFB BOV | Autotech HPFP | Cobb AP V3 | TWM Full shifter Assembly | RPF1 18x9.5 +38 | PSS 255/35 | JBR RSB |  ITV22  |  CP-e TMIC  |  Damond PMM  |  Damond TMM  |  JBR 88a RMM  |  JBR SSP  |  Damond OCC  |  Cooling Mist Stage 3  |  Guardian Angel V3  |  CS Injector Seals  |

Offline metalfab

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 10:19:52 AM »
This looks really awesome, especially with the 5 going to be engraved on the top!  Do you think maybe you'll do a custom one for the feller 3's?  hehehe

Let's see how this one turns out (no pun intended, or maybe it was ;) )

Like I said I'll post the photo of the finished product later this week. If the result is liked by many and if there are enough requests I'd have to set up a deal with the company as X amount of stainless or aluminum bar is pricey and the boss would wonder where the material is going.

Offline metalfab

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 02:20:07 PM »
I did ask if they could use a plastic material instaead of a metal and the answer is yes. However, the choice in color is no good. I have opted for aluminum over stainless as it does conduct the heat better. Should be ready this week when the operator has time.

Offline metalfab

First version
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 08:22:18 AM »
Here it is, machined from a solid piece of aluminum. Still have to get the "5" engraved on the top. Basically it's just to see how it looks and if the thread size is correct. BTW thread size is 8mm x 1.25
Not sure how to embed a skydrive image so the link: http://sdrv.ms/Ye8cvL

Offline zoomerboomer

• Premium Member
  • I married my Mazda3
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
Sexy!   ;D 
Did you drill and thread the aluminum or did you put in a threaded insert?
'06 25D, 3SGT w/LP, A/T, Mrf, A/C, remote start, Fiamm LT horn, Hidden Hitch, step plate, BCM3 decals, iPod integration, S:18" MSpeed Rays, Kuhmo Ecsta 4XII 225/40, W:17" stock rims, Hankook Icebear 300, VG shark fin, WTech fr mat, Autolismo: dash cam, Mz3 pedals, LEDs & 4300K HIDs; painted calipers w/decals, Mazda JDM visors, Matsu str bar, LED CHMSL thx Tim25, modified exhaust tip, Dale's installed Whiteline camber bushings, cargo tray & '14 25D 3SGT, Tech Pkg, Curt hitch, WTech fr mat.

Offline tonyzoomzoom

• Live Long and Prosper
  • Administrator
  • I married my Mazda3
    • T-Zoom
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 09:54:10 AM »
Nice work.  It looks great!
2005 Winnie the Blue GT sedan -- powered by eBay
                     next mods = wheel spacers, koni str.t shocks, and more blue LEDs !!

Offline theurgy

• I married my Mazda3
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 10:26:28 AM »
If i had to make my own shift knob, I would make one out of steel for the core and Delrin for the outer shell.
That way you get the weight of a proper shift knob and the temperature insensitivity of a delrin knob.

I have also looked into creating a knob heater/cooler by using a Peltier thermoelectric device.
Basically the system would be installed discretely and have elements attached to the shifter arm.
A thermistor would be installed into the shift knob detecting its temperature and if the temperature was above a certain threshold (too hot or too cold) the controller would select the polarity of the Peltier elements (which decides if it heats or cools) and activate until the temperature was within normal values.
From my experience and with the voltages available in the car, it would be a 2-3 second process.

2008 Cosmic Blue Mica Mazdaspeed 3.
BNR s3, CoolingMist CMGS With Autolearn Failsafe, JBR FMIC  Undermount w/ TR8, JBR 3" Fullpath, Steedspeed EM, Cobb AP v3, Stratified Tuned, Autotech HPFP Internals, CP-e Catted Downpipe, Port and Polished IM with VTCS & Full EGR Delete, Grimmspeed EBCS,  3 BAR MAP Sensor, Turbosmart Dual-port BPV, Koni Sport Yellows, Eibach Prokits, SPC Camber Arms, Cobb FSB and RSB, AWR Endlinks, JBR Trilogy Mounts 70a Duro, KX-F3 Full Chassis Braces.

Offline metalfab

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 03:34:28 PM »
Sexy!   ;D 
Did you drill and thread the aluminum or did you put in a threaded insert?

The aluminum is drilled, no insert. I'll get a better photo once the "5" is done on the top. :)

Offline metalfab

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 03:37:37 PM »
If i had to make my own shift knob, I would make one out of steel for the core and Delrin for the outer shell.
That way you get the weight of a proper shift knob and the temperature insensitivity of a delrin knob.

I have also looked into creating a knob heater/cooler by using a Peltier thermoelectric device.
Basically the system would be installed discretely and have elements attached to the shifter arm.
A thermistor would be installed into the shift knob detecting its temperature and if the temperature was above a certain threshold (too hot or too cold) the controller would select the polarity of the Peltier elements (which decides if it heats or cools) and activate until the temperature was within normal values.
From my experience and with the voltages available in the car, it would be a 2-3 second process.

Too complicated for me ;) ...the pure aluminum shifter above feels like the perfect weight and size for my hand, far better than the stock.

Offline theurgy

• I married my Mazda3
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 03:57:08 PM »
Yeah but you're using it on an automatic shifter where weight isn't that big a factor.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mica Mazdaspeed 3.
BNR s3, CoolingMist CMGS With Autolearn Failsafe, JBR FMIC  Undermount w/ TR8, JBR 3" Fullpath, Steedspeed EM, Cobb AP v3, Stratified Tuned, Autotech HPFP Internals, CP-e Catted Downpipe, Port and Polished IM with VTCS & Full EGR Delete, Grimmspeed EBCS,  3 BAR MAP Sensor, Turbosmart Dual-port BPV, Koni Sport Yellows, Eibach Prokits, SPC Camber Arms, Cobb FSB and RSB, AWR Endlinks, JBR Trilogy Mounts 70a Duro, KX-F3 Full Chassis Braces.

Offline MaxwellNok

• MaxwellNokJA
    • sunburstshelties
Custom Shift Knob for the 5
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 01:55:41 AM »
Okay. My car is automatic. I want to change my shift knobstock. When I unscrew the 2 screws that his holding the knob.. There is this wire that is attached to the hold button. I dont want to pull it incase I might damage it. Anyone know how I can twist the knob out? or cut the wire?

thanks in advance.